2003–2007: Ph. D., Electrical and Computer Engineering
The University of Akron. Akron, OH
Grade point average: 3.957/4.0
Dissertation title: Design and implementation of low cost de-noising systems for real-time control applications
2001 – 2003: M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering
The University of Akron. Akron, OH
Grade point average: 4.0/4.0
Thesis title: Performance Analysis of Multi-Code Spread Spectrum/CDMA Communication systems
1996 – 2001: B.S., Electrical Engineering
Beirut Arab University. Beirut, Lebanon
Final Average: 74.9%
Senior design project: Target Tracking, Using Fuzzy Logic, PC and Micro-Controller Interface.
Aug. 07-present: Assistant Professor, Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH.
Jan. 06-May 07: Teaching/Research Assistant, The University of Akron, Akron, OH.
July 05-Dec. 05: Engineering intern, Cisco Systems Inc., Richfield, OH.
Aug. 01-June 05: Teaching/Research Assistant, The University of Akron, Akron, OH.
- S. Khorbotly & K. Al-Olimat, “Engineering Student-Design Competition Teams: Capstone or Extracurricular?”, Accepted for publication in the IEEE Frontiers In Education Conference, Washington, DC, Oct. 2010.
- S. Khorbotly & K. Reid, “Draw Bridge Design: An Interdisciplinary, Hands-on Project for Freshman Engineering Students”, ASEE Annual Conference, Louisville, KY, June 2010.
- J. Carletta, T. Bayles, K. Kalveram, S. Khorbotly, C. Macnab, L. Nazhandali, J. Rice, J. Smith, L. Turner, S. Williams, L. Wyard-Scott, “Special session - Real World Engineering Projects: Discovery-based curriculum modules for first-year students”, IEEE Frontiers In Education Conference, San Antonio, TX, October, 2009.
- F. Hassan, R. J. Haddad, and S. Khorbotly, "Module-based, hands-on experiments for digital communications lab", ASEE NC Section Conf., Grand Rapids, MI,April 2009.
- F. Hassan, S. Khorbotly, and M. Vatte, "Introducing cadence tools at the Undergrad. Level", ASEE NC Section Conf., Grand Rapids, MI,April 2009.
- S. Khorbotly, J. E. Carlettta, and R. J. Veillette, “A Methodology for Implementing Pipelined Fixed-Point Infinite Impulse Response Filters.” IEEE Southeast Symposium on System Theory, Tullahoma, TN, March 2009.
- S. Khorbotly and J. E. Carlettta, “Sampling Rate Selection for Real-Time De-noising Systems.” IEEE Midwestern Symposium on Circuits & Systems, Knoxville, TN, Aug. 2008.
- S. Khorbotly and F. Hassan, “Teaching Wavelet Signal Processing at the Undergraduate Level.” ASEE North Central Section Conference, Dayton, OH, March. 2008.
- S. Khorbotly and J. E. Carlettta, “Real-Time, Low Cost Embedded De-noising of Motor Position Control Signals.” IEEE Midwestern Symposium on Circuits & Systems, Montreal, QC, Aug. 2007
- S. Khorbotly, A. Khalil, J. E. Carletta and I. Husain “A Wavelet Based De-Noising Approach for Real-Time Signal Processing in Electric Motor Drives.” IEEE Industrial Electronics Conference. Raleigh, NC, Nov. 2005.
- S. Khorbotly and O. Ugweje, “Efficient Transmission of Wavelet-Based Images Using MC-CDMA Systems.” IEEE 37th Southeast Symposium on System Theory. Tuskegee, AL, Mar. 2005.
- S. Khorbotly and O. Ugweje, “Diversity performance of Multi Code Spread Spectrum CDMA System.” IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference. Atlanta, GA, Mar. 2004.
- O. Ugweje, S. Khorbotly and C. Madubata, “Performance of Convolutionally Coded Multicode SS CDMA System.” IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference. San Fran., CA, Dec. 2003.
Professional Memberships, Honors, and Awards
- Member of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- Member of the ASEE (American Society for Engineering Education)
- Member of Phi Beta Delta (Honor Society of International scholars)
- Recipient of the IEEE Real Word Engineering Program award. 2010
- Recipient of the IEEE Real Word Engineering Program award. 2008
- Recipient of the Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year Award, 2007-2008. Ohio Northern University
- Recipient of the Outstanding Graduate Research Assistant Award, 2003, The University of Akron